Thursday, October 15, 2015

Simply Mini Quilt Swap

If you've been around the crafting instagram world at all, you've heard about swaps. Lately there has been loads of drama with flakers (both those who don't send and swap mamas who disappear). Heck, even my own swap had a Mama disappear and I'm trying to clean up that mess. But I digress.

I've personally decided that I am done with swaps. Except for short term book swaps. I'm always down for a good book swap, it's ridiculously easy and very rare for flakers. Anywho, done with swaps. I'm finishing out the few that I'm already a part of and then that's it. Plus you know, I've got a wedding coming up in 121 days, so it's probably best that I don't take anything else on.

So, this swap was entitled the Simply Mini Swap. All that was required was a mini quilt. That's it. The host emphatically stated no extras, just focus on the mini! Fine by me, extras are so hard for me. I can't afford a whole lot, but then I feel bad if I don't include anything.  So this was perfect, just a mini quilt, woohoo!!

My partner stated she loved Bonnie and Camille fabrics, really who doesn't though? And she posted a great mosaic of things she likes.  As much as I dislike making mosaics, they really are so helpful!


This picture was included in her mosaic and I knew this was what I wanted to do! I love hexies and this is such a unique way to use them. Oh and guess what mini charm pack I had laying around?


Woohoo!! Honestly these mini charm packs are the greatest thing Moda has come up with. They are the perfect size for 1 inch hexies, just snip the corners and baste away!


I love little hexies all piled up like that... Ahhhh so cute! Basting hexies is so fun for me, and hello travel worthy project! You need next to nothing, so no huge project bags.


Playing around with a layout. Can I just say, my kitchen at night has the worst lighting in the world! It gives everything a weird orangey color and ughhhhhhh.... Nick's kitchen however has gorgeous light, and it takes the greatest pictures.


See?! The difference in lighting is crazy, these were taken the same of day, but one in my kitchen and one in his. I was popping out the papers here and Nick brought me roses.... Such a sweetheart, good thing I'm marrying him right?


I added a coral border and started sewing everything down/quilting. Every step of this quilt was seriously so enjoyable, I loved watching the hexies come to life with each stitch. 


This was after a good night of quilting, but I was so exhausted I couldn't even keep my eyes open.


Who else loves the back of quilts as much as the front? Such glorious puffiness!


Seriously though, this is the most awesome thing I think I have ever created. I love it so much and I really hope my partner does too! 

Until next time,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment